Wednesday, April 8, 2009

If I use my name, completely lowercased, as my logo, would my name be AP style correct still completely lowercased?


After taking Macon's class on Writing for Mass Media, my Associated Press style book has become my bible. I am constantly using it to check over papers that I have to turn in to my Public Relations classes. There are yellow, green, and even pink highlighter marks decorating the pages. It definitely looks well "loved".
Any who, I came across an article called "15 for '09: New media terms to know for a new year" by Joseph Priest. It goes over the correct AP style format to use for new words that have been added to our daily dictionary. So, here they are, the correct way to write the 15 for '09 words.

1) BlackBerry
2) Blu-ray
3) blog
4) cell phone
5) Del.icio.us
6) e-mail
7) Facebook
8) LinkedIn
9) MySpace
10) podcast
11) videocast
12) Web site
13) wiki
14) Wi-Fi
15) YouTube

Notice the spelling and the spacing on the above words. The article explains how Web site is two words though it is evolving and may soon become one word. It also explains that Web is capitalized because Web is short for the proper noun World Wide Web. Facebook is still capitalized even though their logo suggests otherwise. The rest of the explanations can be found in the article. It's interesting to see how the AP style gurus come up with choices on the spellings of things. 

Well, thats all for this week. I hope it was an educational post.

Picture was originally posted on Pitch Engine

1 comment:

  1. Katie, When do you recommend using these? I know it's difficult when writing for the web to use style guides, as it is necessary to write for SEO (keywords). For example, if everyone searches for website, instead of Web site, then I would use website in my text. How do you work around this?

    ReplyDelete