Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ethically Ethical





Ethically speaking, I am in the middle. At least with Public Relations. A question that was brought up in class was would I be willing to work for a tobacco company. In this economy and job crisis I probably would. If the money and the job are there I would be stupid not to. Now if I had a choice on working for a ethical company over a slimy company then of course I would choose the ethical company. I suppose as I go through the job market and I climb the corporate ladder I will begin to develop my ethical views on what is right and what is wrong in the work place. At the moment though, I feel unequipped to really judge which track I will take. Of course there are things I wouldn't do including cheat, steal or sleep my way to the top, but the gray areas are still yet to be decided.

Public Relations Ethics in the News: (these are paraphrased from the article below)

1.) A public relations firm allegedly(using my mass media law jargon) created a program that would basically have a group of "tweeters" that would only say good things about the firms client and that client's products. Creating a false good image for the company.




  • Though, this may not be ethical. I think its ingenious and kind of funny. I wonder if I could hire them to tweet about me and make me the most popular girl on campus. It's human nature to follow a crowd when it comes to liking someone or something. So, theoretically, this firm could make a company (or me) a fad just by creating the origional crowd.


2.) A public relations firm allegedly told its interns to write favorable reviews about the games sold by it's clients.





  • Clever? Not saying I feel that this is right, but it is kind of what I assumed that companys did anyways. It's not as if they are taking the public by surprise by doing this and being caught. Silly them for being caught. These are the kind of firms that give Public Relations a bad name.

My Inspiration for this Blog Post:
http://prsay.prsa.org/index.php/2009/09/02/public-relations-ethics-and-the-role-of-prsa/

No comments:

Post a Comment